The Chain Pier, already closed and decrepit by this point, was destroyed by a storm on 4 December 1896.
The remains of some of the pier’s oak piles, sunk ten feet into bedrock, can still be seen at the most extreme low tides. Masonry blocks can also be seen. The entrance kiosks and signal cannon of the pier are still intact, and are now used as small shops on the Palace Pier. The plaque commemorating this has been removed from the kiosks, but remains on the cannon.