How to Publish Content in Google and Apple NewsA simple step by step guide to appearing in Apple and Google News
Read in 4 minutes
Google and Apple News are popular news aggregators for Apple and Android and the web, yet, they are often under-utilised for businesses publishing great editorial content. If you’re not already listed in Google or Apple News, the below step by step guide will show you how to start getting your content in front of many many more eyes.
What is Google News?
Google News is a news aggregator and app developed by Google. It presents a continuous, customisable flow of articles organised from thousands of publishers and magazines. Google News is available on Android, iOS, and the web
How does Apple News differ?
The Apple News Format allows publishers to craft beautiful editorial layouts and custom typography. Galleries, audio, video, and fun interactions like animation make stories spring to life. Articles are automatically optimised for all iOS devices — so content is brought to millions of readers and looks great no matter which device it’s on. And News offers great business terms for publishers as well.
How to get published in Google News
Submit your website for inclusion
If your site follows our content policies and technical news index and webmaster guidelines, follow the steps below to submit your site for inclusion in the Google News Publisher Center.
How to submit your site
To submit your site, follow the steps below:
- Open Google News Publisher Center.
- Use Search Console to verify ownership of your news site.
- Click Request inclusion in news index.
- Enter your website details, including news section URLs and labels.
- Click Submit.
After your inclusion request is submitted, “Inclusion request submitted” displays and your site is reviewed by the Google News team within the next 1-3 weeks. Website owners can check the Publisher Center for updates on their inclusion requests.
If your website is accepted, you’ll see “Included” under News. If your site submission is rejected, you’ll see “Review complete: Site rejected.”
We cannot share specific feedback for your site regarding Google News inclusion. However, you can use the Publisher help forum to seek guidance from other publishers and you may re-apply for inclusion after 60 days.
How to get published in Apple News
To become a News Publisher and distribute news in Apple’s News, you need to:
- First sign-up as a News Publisher
- Sign in with the Apple ID you’d like to use for your business or channel
- Fill out the publisher information and upload your publication’s logo (tip: choose a high-res logo with a transparent background)
- Choose how you wish to publish your content, whether you’d like to use Apple News Format or an RSS format. It is worth noting with RSS you will have no analytics, no featuring, fewer design layouts and less revenue opportunities
- Set up a channel: this is one feed to provide the main content for your channel
- Submit your application to be an Apple News Publisher
- Once approved as a publisher, you will be able to start publishing articles. You can do this in three ways:
- Web authoring (craft your own articles using the web tool)
- Apple News API (plug your existing CMS into Apple News)
- Plugins (such as WordPress, Squarespace, Drupal)
There you have it, nice and easy, now you can concentrate on creating great content and making your customers happy!
The perfect SEO package aimed at small businesses and startups. £1495+VAT
Discover the best tools to help you generate content ideas and improve the relevance of your website
What is content curation? And how to do it well.
Contains practical explanations and real-world examples